Homemade Ice Cream Recipe #1
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 large – 3 lb coffee can with a plastic lid
- 1 small – 1-pound coffee can with a plastic lid
Here’s what you do with the ingredients:
- Have your parent’s permission before you start.
- First freeze both coffee cans overnight.
- The next day, mix the sugar, cream and milk together in the smaller can.
- Put the lid on securely and place it in the large can.
- Pack ice into the large can around the small can
- Sprinkle with salt into the ice so it makes your coffee can ice cream maker real cold.
- Put the lid on the large coffee can securely and start rolling it. It will take a while so you need to be patient.
- Replace the ice when it starts melting.
- Stir the mixture every once in a while as the ice cream thickens.
- Keep rolling you can until the ice cream is thick.
Recipe for Homemade Ice Cream in a Coffee Can #2
This is a great activity for when you’re camping. The kids will enjoy making and eating it too.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- One – 1-pound coffee can with lid
- One – 3-pound coffee can with lid
- One – pint of half and half (milk can be used instead)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- One teaspoon vanilla
- One – egg, beaten (optional)
- Two tablespoons of chocolate syrup,
- …or 1/4 cup of strawberries
- Add all of the ingredients into the one pound coffee can.
- Mix well.
- Cover the coffee can with its lid and secure it with duct tape.
- Place the One pound coffee can inside the three pound coffee can.
- Surround the small can with crushed ice and rock salt.
- Cover the three pound can with its lid securely.
- Now, have the kids roll the can back and forth while they sit on the ground three to four feet apart.
- Roll the can for 8 to 10 minutes
- Alternately, the kids could kick the can back and forth.
- Check the ice cream to see if it’s frozen.
- If not, secure the lid and add more ice and salt.
- Continue to roll the can for 8 more minutes.
- Open the can and serve your ice cream into bowl.
- This can serve from 4 to 6 persons.
These Two Homemade “Coffee Can” Ice Cream Recipes will keep the kids entertained and happy. Have fun!